Inspired by Joshua McFadden’s Six Seasons: A New Way With Vegetables, this late summer tomato and melon salad fully captures those last summer rays in each bite. The combination of spicy, tart, and sweet means this is the perfect vehicle for our Jacobsen Co. Hot Honey Sauce and makes dressing the salad a breeze.
- 1 pound tomatoes, quartered
- ½ pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 ½ pound melon, rind and seeds removed, cut into crescents
- 1 Anaheim or jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into rounds or finely diced
- Small handful basil leaves
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Jacobsen Co. Hot Honey Sauce, plus more to taste
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Pure Kosher Sea Salt
- Freshly ground Tellicherry Black Peppercorns
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
Place tomatoes, melon, and pepper in a large bowl and season with a pinch of kosher salt and a few twists of black pepper. Add the vinegar and Hot Honey Sauce and toss. Add the basil and olive oil and toss again, adjusting seasoning as necessary. Tear mozzarella into bite-sized pieces and toss into salad before serving. Drizzle with extra Hot Honey Sauce, if desired.